Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hello World

I've had a sewing machine since Christmas of 2006. The intention was for me to learn how to sew diapers or wipes to sell in a local diaper shop. That never happened and the machine just began to collect dust.

After the birth of my second child, aka the spit-up queen, I dusted my machine off. Well, my mother in law did. She altered the amazingly beautiful crib bedding she made for my daughter on my machine. The same crib bedding I had had lofty intentions of making myself, but obviously never did. My poor child.

Later, I picked up an old receiving blanket and a crummy Gerber prefold that is useful for pretty much nothing other than catching spit-up. I decided to stitch the blanket to the prefold so that the prefold would be softer on my baby's face and more absorbent. The resulting creation was anything but pretty, but it was functional!

I haven't done much since that project, but this blog will track what I do make and will allow for reflection on what I could have or should have done differently. I welcome constructive criticism and advice. I will also provide what will hopefully be humorous anecdotes related to learning to sew. I have never had a single lesson, by the way. If I use a tutorial for instruction, I'll link to it. Otherwise, what I've done is all on me.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Can't wait to follow your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're way braver than I am.

    I hope this blog motivates you to try bigger and badder projects over the years.

    Can't wait to see what you create for your two beauties and any other lucky recipients of your talents and creativity.

    ReplyDelete